Thursday, February 14, 2008

Vitameatavegamin Anyone?


That title is a shout out to my wonderful Aunt Cindy, a loyal "I Love Lucy" watcher (I think that show has been in syndication for, what, 50 years or so?!). It is also a small hint about my latest kiddo story. I know you can't wait!

First off, we went for a follow-up doctor's appt today to see how the boys bloodwork came out. Both boys are free from any of the major problems sometimes seen in children from this part of Africa. No HIV, no hepatitis, only 1 parasite that we are taking meds for, and no sickle cell traits. We found out they are both slightly anemic and Ezra has a trait which will make him anemic throughout his life. On the bright side, a multi-vitamin with iron should be all it takes to help keep their hemoglobin up.

So this is where the title comes in. I started the boys on a chewable vitamin tonight because of the doctors recommendations. However, being the clever new mom I am I told them it was candy. They both popped it in their mouth and began to chew. Boy am I smooth. I turned around to Ryan as I walked away and gave him the 'ole wink-a-roo. Another fight with the boys avoided right? I didn't get three steps, or very far into my victory dance, when Addai pipes up "We call these vitamins Mama". Ryan could not contain all out laughter at this point. BUSTED!!! I guess this is what you get when you adopt 5 year olds, they already know most of the tricks of the trade!

Okay, one more funny Addai story and I promise to let you go. Eating today at Taco Bell, my Valentine's request, and I give Ezra his medication for his ear infection. Did I forget to say that what we thought were hearing problems turned out to be a double ear infection which even turned the docs stomach? We had suspected this but couldn't get into the doctor and he had no symptoms besides a lack of hearing, but I digress. So, Addai says he wants some of Ezra's meds and I tell him no because there is nothing wrong with his ears. He waits a few minutes then gets my attention. "Mama", he says, "my ears are hurting." Mama replys "No son they are not, now keep eating." To which he promptly replies "Eh?". I say "Keep eating", to which he says "Eh?". I think you see where this is going. He continued this charade for the next 30 minutes, even pretending not to hear the cashier at Wal-Mart! Such a sly cookie, but no he didn't get any of Ezra's meds. Okay, I'm lieing, but it was only 1 drop to see what it tastes like. What can I say, I'm a softy sometimes believe it or not.

All you readers, please continue to pray for our transition as a family. These boys bring us the greatest joy, but as any parent knows there are also struggles. You can't help but second guess yourself, especially knowing all these little ones have seen and gone through in their very short lives. Pray that we parent them the way God wants us to and that they see Christ in us daily.

In Christ's Love,

Mama

3 comments:

joshua said...

This is one of the very best blogs I've ever visited!

Congrats!

PALAVROSSAVRVS REX

L. Abrams said...

Stephanie and Ryan - This picture of those two precious little boys holding hands and looking out at the sea says it all. I have always known that you would be wonderful parents and it is so evident now that you are. I can't wait to see you and meet my two new grand nephews in person. You have all our love and support. Aunt Linda (your other dear aunt) and Uncle Bob

Tina Murray said...

Stephanie and Ryan, first of all I would like to say Congrats on your new family. You have been blessed with two precious little boys and God has blessed them with two wonderful people to raise them.

Secondly, I just want to say hi and good luck raising two boys. I have enjoyed reading your blog. Keep on blogging, I am enjoying all the stories. I am sure there is never a dull moment in your house now. Hopefully the next time I am able to get home I will be able to meet your new family members.

Take care and God Bless,
Tina(Bradshaw) Murray